CIA Challenge Exam — ACCA
As a member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), take advantage of this rare opportunity to earn the Certified Internal Auditor® (CIA®) designation through an expedited process and join the over 170,000 CIAs who achieved this highly respected global certification. The challenge exam will include CIA content not already covered by the ACCA exam. In offering the challenge exam, The IIA continues to demonstrate the uniqueness of internal auditing as a profession and strengthens its strategic partnership with accounting bodies around the world.
Application, registration, and scheduling for the exam will begin in August.
View more information on the CIA Challenge Exam for Qualified Accounting Bodies.
Apply Today for This One-time CIA Challenge Exam Opportunity
By earning the CIA designation, you will join an elite group of individuals who have experienced global professional growth and upward mobility. Adding the CIA credential to your resume will elevate you among your peers and demonstrate that you are:
- A credible and trusted internal auditor
- A stronger, more competent professional who is knowledgeable in organizational governance
- Equipped for career-advancing opportunities
Candidates who reside in the United Kingdom/Republic of Ireland or South Africa must be IIA members to partake in the challenge exam. They should reach out to the local IIA affiliate to process membership prior to enrolling.
CIA Challenge Exam Package
In addition to saving time, the CIA Challenge Exam offers significant financial savings. The CIA Challenge Exam bundle is $1,195 USD for IIA members and $1,545 USD for non-IIA members and includes:
- CIA Challenge Exam application fee
- CIA Challenge Exam registration fee
- CIA Challenge Exam Study Guide for Qualified CAs / CPAs and practice questions customized for this program
- Access to the Standards to help you prepare for the exam
All fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
The IIA’s CIA Challenge Exam Study Guide for Qualified CAs / CPAs combines online reading materials and study tools to teach and reinforce the CIA challenge exam syllabus in a flexible, on-demand format. All CIA challenge exam candidates will enjoy:
- A fully online learning experience allowing them to study whenever they have a few spare minutes.
- Comprehensive online reading materials and downloadable e-reader files.
- 1,000 practice exam questions to test their comprehension and ability to apply concepts. *Please note these practice questions are developed independently of the IIA Global Certifications department and based on the publically listed syllabi.
- A glossary of terms.
- A video tutorial providing an overview of the IPPF components.
- Access to these online study tools for one year.
Once approved into the program, candidates will receive the email invitation for the CIA Learning System within 7 days from The IIA’s CIA Distribution Center with the subject line, “Action Required - Your IIA Online Access”. Candidates will need to activate the CIA Learning System separately. For questions or assistance with the CIA Learning System please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org in inquire further. Access the IPPF.
Prepare for the Challenge Exam
Review the topics covered by The IIA’s CIA Challenge Exam for Qualified CPAs and CAs with a customized course that provides an overview of the standards of internal audit. The course is available in English only and delivered through on-demand video segments that are broken into three modules totaling approximately 14 hours of time, allowing candidates the flexibility to study on their own personal schedules. Find out more.
Not an IIA Member?
Membership in The IIA not only helps you master core internal audit competencies and develop effective tools, but also provides exclusive member pricing on IIA products and services, including the ACCA CIA Challenge Exam. Please contact your local Affiliate for IIA membership information.
The CIA Challenge Exam (delivered via online testing or at a testing center)
The exam is:
Candidates must be current ACCA members*. Former ACCA members and students are ineligible. Interested individuals should contact ACCA if you are unsure of your current member status and eligibility prior to submitting an application.
At this time, the ACCA CIA Challenge Exam is not offered in all markets including Cuba, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.
Program Timeline for applicants approved in August & September 2021
- Application Window: August - September 2021
- Registration: August through September 2021
- Scheduling: August through January 2022
- First Attempt Testing Windows: November 2021 Or January 2022
Program Timeline for retake examinations
- Registration & Scheduling: All year
- Re-take Test Windows: November 2021, January 2022, April 2022, July 2022, and November 2022
Please note, once exam registration is completed, you have 180 days to schedule and sit for the examination. The examination is only offered in the testing windows as listed above. The first exam registration is included in the application bundled price. Retake examinations are available for an additional fee. There is no maximum number of times candidates may retake the examination within the three-year program window.
Program Timeline for Candidates in Mainland China
- Application Window: 21 August through 30 September 2021
- Registration Window: 1 August through 30 September 2021
- Schedule Window: 1 through 8 November 2021
- Testing Window: 2 December 2021 at 9:00 a.m. CST only
Retake Timeline for Approved Candidates in Mainland China
- Registration Window: 1 through 20 April 2022
- Schedule Window: 1 through 8 May 2022
- Testing Window: 2 June 2022 at 9:00 a.m. CST only
- Create a profile or log into the Certification Candidate Management System (CCMS). (If you already have a CCMS account do not create another one, instead select ‘Forgot Password’ to recover your account)
- Select “Apply for Certified Internal Auditor.”
- Select “CIA program for Qualified Chartered Accountants and Certified Public Accountants.”
- After the payment screen, you must upload a letter of good standing from the qualified accounting body and a government-issued ID. You must also complete the electronic character reference. Once approved into the program, you may schedule your examination.
ACCA members can obtain these easily from the member portal, myACCA.
Process to download is:
- Login to myACCA
- On the left, select Documents and downloads (if using mobile device, select the Menu icon from the top left hand corner)
- Select the letter you want to download if you're downloading a letter of good standing, select the reason for your download
- Select Submit
- Save letter to desktop.
Exam Registration and Scheduling
- Once approved into the program, access your CCMS account and select “Manage My Program” to register your exam with PearsonVUE. Upon completing the registration process select “Access PearsonVUE” from the main menu bar an follow the onscreen instructions for scheduling your appointment. During the scheduling process you will have the option to take your exam via online testing or at a testing center. Learn more about online testing.
Accessing Score Reports
Approximately 24 hours after you have completed your exam, you will receive a system-generated email notifying you that your exam score is available. You may also check your score online by logging into your CCMS profile and selecting “Access Pearson VUE,” then selecting “View Score Reports.”