CIA Challenge Exam — ACCA
As a member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), take advantage of this rare opportunity to earn the Certified Internal Auditor® (CIA®) designation through an expedited process and join the over 165,000 CIAs who achieved this highly respected global certification. The challenge exam will include CIA content not already covered by the ACCA exam. In offering the challenge exam, The IIA continues to demonstrate the uniqueness of internal auditing as a profession and strengthens its strategic partnership with accounting bodies around the world.
Application, registration, and scheduling for the exam will begin in August 2020.
View more information on the CIA Challenge Exam for Qualified Accounting Bodies.
Apply Today for This One-time CIA Challenge Exam Opportunity
By earning the CIA designation, you will join an elite group of individuals who have experienced global professional growth and upward mobility. Adding the CIA credential to your resume will elevate you among your peers and demonstrate that you are:
- A credible and trusted internal auditor
- A stronger, more competent professional who is knowledgeable in organizational governance
- Equipped for career-advancing opportunities
Candidates who reside in the United Kingdom/Republic of Ireland or South Africa must be IIA members to partake in the challenge exam. They should reach out to the local IIA affiliate to process membership prior to enrolling. The CIA Challenge exam program is not available to candidates in mainland China.
CIA Challenge Exam Package
In addition to saving time, the CIA Challenge Exam offers significant financial savings. The CIA Challenge Exam bundle is $1,195 USD for IIA members and $1,545 USD for non-IIA members and includes:
- CIA Challenge Exam application fee
- CIA Challenge Exam registration fee
- CIA Challenge Exam Study Guide for Qualified CAs / CPAs
- Access to the International Professional Practices Framework and Standards to help you prepare for the exam
All fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
Candidates who are unsuccessful in passing their examination in November will have one additional opportunity to take the exam in February 2021. The price for the retake exam is $795 USD for IIA members and $945 USD for non-IIA members.
The IIA’s CIA Challenge Exam Study Guide for Qualified CAs / CPAs combines online reading materials and study tools to teach and reinforce the CIA challenge exam syllabus in a flexible, on-demand format. All CIA challenge exam candidates will enjoy:
- A fully online learning experience allowing them to study whenever they have a few spare minutes.
- Comprehensive online reading materials and downloadable e-reader files.
- 150 practice exam to test their comprehension and ability to apply concepts. *Please note these practice questions are developed independently of the IIA Global Certifications department and based on the publically listed syllabi.
- A glossary of terms.
- A video tutorial providing an overview of the IPPF components.
- Access to these online study tools for one year.
Once approved into the program, candidates will receive the email invitation for the CIA Learning System within 7 days from The IIA’s CIA Distribution Center with the subject line, “Action Required - Your IIA Online Access”. Candidates will need to activate the CIA Learning System separately. For questions or assistance with the CIA Learning System please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org in inquire further. Access the IPPF.
Prepare for the Challenge Exam
Review the topics covered by The IIA’s CIA Challenge Exam for Qualified CPAs and CAs with a customized course that provides an overview of the standards of internal audit. The course is available in English only and delivered through on-demand video segments that are broken into three modules totaling approximately 14 hours of time, allowing candidates the flexibility to study on their own personal schedules. Find out more.
Not an IIA Member?
Membership in The IIA not only helps you master core internal audit competencies and develop effective tools, but also provides exclusive member pricing on IIA products and services, including the ACCA CIA Challenge Exam. Please contact your local Affiliate for IIA membership information.
The CIA Challenge Exam (delivered via online testing or at a testing center)
The exam is:
Candidates must be current ACCA members*. Former ACCA members and students are ineligible. Interested individuals should contact ACCA if you are unsure of your current member status and eligibility prior to submitting an application.
At this time, the ACCA CIA Challenge Exam is not offered in all markets including Cuba, North Korea, Sudan, Syria and mainland China. However, interested individuals in Chinese Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macao may apply.
Program Timeline and Additional Information
- Application Window: August - September 2020
- Registration & Scheduling: All year
- Testing Windows: November - December 2020, February - March 2021, June 2021, November 2021
- Create a profile or log into the Certification Candidate Management System (CCMS). (If you already have a CCMS account do not create another one, instead select ‘Forgot Password’ to recover your account)
- Select “Apply for Certified Internal Auditor.”
- Select “CIA program for Qualified Chartered Accountants and Certified Public Accountants.”
- After the payment screen, you must upload a letter of good standing from the qualified accounting body and a government-issued ID. You must also complete the electronic character reference. Once approved into the program, you may schedule your examination.
ACCA members can obtain these easily from the member portal, myACCA.
Process to download is:
- Login to myACCA
- On the left, select Documents and downloads (if using mobile device, select the Menu icon from the top left hand corner)
- Select the letter you want to download if you're downloading a letter of good standing, select the reason for your download
- Select Submit
- Save letter to desktop.
Exam Registration and Scheduling
- Once approved into the program, access your CCMS account and select “Manage My Program” to register your exam with PearsonVUE. Upon completing the registration process select “Access PearsonVUE” from the main menu bar an follow the onscreen instructions for scheduling your appointment. During the scheduling process you will have the option to take your exam via online testing or at a testing center.
What Is Online Testing?
Online testing allows candidates to test using their own computer in their home, their office, or remotely in other acceptable locations. Visit the Pearson VUE online proctoring page for system requirements and additional information. Click the image below to watch a short video to learn more.
To prepare and understand the check-in procedures and system requirements for online testing, visit the Pearson VUE online proctoring page and click “Run system test.” Once you download the application and follow the prompts, they are identical to checking in for your upcoming exam. This program will also test your system to determine if you meet the requirements needed to take the exam via online testing.
English – Pearson VUE System Test
Technology and Equipment Compatibility
Online testing is no longer supported on Internet Explorer; therefore, candidates should plan to use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox to take the exam.
Our vendor, Pearson VUE, has been made aware of issues with Mac devices when attempting to take the test online. While Pearson VUE works to resolve the issue, candidates are encouraged to use non-Mac devices to complete the test online. If that is not an option, consider taking your exam at a Pearson VUE test center.
Please take note that candidates assume responsibility for meeting technical requirements prior to scheduling an exam and taking the exam via online testing.
Taking Your Exam via Online Testing
Now that you have made the decision to continue with your certification program via online testing, please follow the below steps to schedule and begin your exam.
Scheduling Your Online Test
Access your CCMS profile. Once approved into the program, you may select “Access PearsonVUE,” then select the examination to schedule your exam. Schedule your examination for the month of November 2020. You will have the option to take your exam via online testing or at a testing center.
Beginning Your Online Test
- Log into your CCMS account.
- Select “Access Pearson VUE” on the CCMS home page. [View example]
- Under “Open Online Exams” on your dashboard, click the scheduled examination link. [View example]
- Select “Begin Exam.”
- You will be asked to download the OnVUE application and run the program.
- Complete the check-in process by following the screen prompts (you may use a mobile phone or your computer webcam). Be sure to have your government-issued ID ready.
Accessing Score Reports
Approximately 24 hours after you have completed your exam, you will receive a system-generated email notifying you that your exam score is available. You may also check your score online by logging into your CCMS profile and selecting “Access Pearson VUE,” then selecting “View Score Reports.”