CIA Challenge Exam – Qualified Accounting Bodies
As a member of one of the qualified accounting bodies, you can take advantage of this rare opportunity to earn the Certified Internal Auditor® (CIA®) designation through an expedited process and join the more than 165,000 CIAs who have achieved this highly respected global certification. The challenge exam will include CIA content not already covered by your local accounting exam. In offering the challenge exam, The IIA continues to demonstrate the uniqueness of internal auditing as a profession and strengthens its strategic partnership with accounting bodies around the world.
The CIA Challenge Exam will be available in August.
View more information on the CIA Challenge Exam for Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA).
Apply Today for This One-time CIA Challenge Exam Opportunity
By earning the CIA designation, you will join an elite group of individuals who have experienced global professional growth and upward mobility. Adding the CIA credential to your resume will elevate you among your peers and demonstrate that you are:
- A credible and trusted internal auditor
- A stronger, more competent professional who is knowledgeable in organizational governance
- Equipped for career-advancing opportunities
Candidates who reside in the United Kingdom/Republic of Ireland or South Africa must be IIA members to partake in the challenge exam. They should reach out to the local IIA affiliate to process membership prior to enrolling. The CIA Challenge exam program is not available to candidates in mainland China.
CIA Challenge Exam Package
In addition to saving time, the CIA Challenge Exam offers significant financial savings. The CIA Challenge Exam bundle, priced at $1,195 USD for IIA members and $1,545 USD for non-IIA members, includes:
- CIA Challenge Exam application fee
- CIA Challenge Exam registration fee
- CIA Challenge Exam Study Guide for Qualified CAs / CPAs and practice questions included within the customized CIA Learning System
- Access to the Standards to help you prepare for the exam
Please contact your local Affiliate for IIA membership information. All fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
The price for the retake exam is $795 USD for IIA members and $945 USD for non-IIA members.
The IIA’s CIA Challenge Exam Study Guide for Qualified CAs / CPAs combines online reading materials and study tools to teach and reinforce the CIA challenge exam syllabus in a flexible, on-demand format. All CIA challenge exam candidates will enjoy:
- A fully online learning experience allowing them to study whenever they have a few spare minutes.
- Comprehensive online reading materials and downloadable e-reader files.
- 150 practice exam questions to test their comprehension and ability to apply concepts. *Please note these practice questions are developed independently of the IIA Global Certifications department and based on the publically listed syllabi.
- A glossary of terms.
- A video tutorial providing an overview of the IPPF components.
- Access to these online study tools for one year.
Once approved into the program, candidates will receive the email invitation for the CIA Learning System within 7 days from The IIA’s CIA Distribution Center with the subject line, “Action Required - Your IIA Online Access”. Candidates will need to activate the CIA Learning System separately. For questions or assistance with the CIA Learning System please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org in inquire further. The IPPF can be accessed here.
Prepare for the Challenge Exam
Review the topics covered by The IIA’s CIA Challenge Exam for Qualified CPAs and CAs with a customized course that provides an overview of the standards of internal audit. The course is available in English only and delivered through on-demand video segments that are broken into three modules totaling approximately 14 hours of time, allowing candidates the flexibility to study on their own personal schedules. Find out more.
Who Is Eligible?
Candidates must be current members of one of the following qualified accounting bodies; former members and students are ineligible:
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ)
- Chartered Professional Accountants Canada (CPA Canada)
- CPA Australia
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
- Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA)
- Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA)
- Registro Oficial de Auditores de Cuentas (ROAC)
- Saudi Organization for Certified Public Accountants (SOCPA)
- South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
IMPORTANT: Please contact your local accounting body to obtain a letter of good standing prior to submitting an application. This document or current licensure must be provided to complete the application process.
Program Timeline and Additional Information
- Application Window: August - September 2021
- Registration & Scheduling: All year
- Testing Windows: February - March 2021, June 2021, November 2021, January 2022, April 2022, July 2022,
and November 2022
*Once exam registration is completed, you have 180 days to schedule and sit for the examination. The examination is only offered in the testing windows as listed above. The first exam registration is included in the application bundled price. Retake examinations are available for an additional fee. There is no maximum number of times candidates may retake the examination within the three-year program window.
The exam is:
The CIA Challenge Exam (delivered via online testing or at a testing center)
- Create a profile or log into the Certification Candidate Management System (CCMS).
- Select “Apply for Certified Internal Auditor.”
- Select “Accounting body challenge exam.”
- After the payment screen, you must upload a letter of good standing from the qualified accounting body and a government-issued ID. You must also complete the electronic character reference. Once approved into the program, you may register and schedule your examination.
- To register and schedule your exam, select “Manage my program > CIA > Register.”
Exam Registration and Scheduling
- Once approved into the program, access your CCMS account and select “Manage My Program” to register your exam with PearsonVUE. Upon completing the registration process select “Access PearsonVUE” from the main menu bar an follow the onscreen instructions for scheduling your appointment. During the scheduling process you will have the option to take your exam via online testing or at a testing center.
- Schedule your examination for the month of November 2020. You will have the option to take your exam via online testing or at a testing center. To find the nearest testing center, visit the Pearson VUE page and select “Find a test center.”
What Is Online Testing?
Online testing allows candidates to test using their own computer in their home, their office, or remotely in other acceptable locations. Visit the Pearson VUE online proctoring page for system requirements and additional information. Click the image below to watch a short video to learn more.
To prepare and understand the check-in procedures and system requirements for online testing, visit the Pearson VUE online proctoring page and click “Run system test.” Once you download the application and follow the prompts, they are identical to checking in for your upcoming exam. This program will also test your system to determine if you meet the requirements needed to take the exam via online testing.
English – Pearson VUE System Test
Technology and Equipment Compatibility
Online testing is no longer supported on Internet Explorer; therefore, candidates should plan to use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox to take the exam.
Our vendor, Pearson VUE, has been made aware of issues with Mac devices when attempting to take the test online. While Pearson VUE works to resolve the issue, candidates are encouraged to use non-Mac devices to complete the test online. If that is not an option, consider taking your exam at a Pearson Vue test center.
Please take note that candidates assume responsibility for meeting technical requirements prior to scheduling an exam and taking your exam via online testing.
Taking Your Exam via Online Testing
Now that you have made the decision to continue with your certification program via online testing, please follow the below steps to schedule and begin your exam.
Scheduling Your Online Test
- Access your CCMS profile. Once approved into the program, you may select “Manage my program,” then select the examination on the left navigation bar and then select “Register” and/or “Schedule.”
- Schedule your examination for the month of November 2020. You will have the option to take your exam via online testing or at a testing center.
Beginning Your Online Test
- Log into your CCMS account.
- Select “Access Pearson VUE” on the CCMS home page. [View example]
- Under “Open Online Exams” on your dashboard, click the scheduled examination link. [View example]
- Select “Begin Exam.”
- You will be asked to download the OnVUE application and run the program.
- Complete the check-in process by following the screen prompts (you may use a mobile phone or your computer webcam). Be sure to have your government-issued ID ready.
Accessing Score Reports
Approximately 24 hours after you have completed your exam, you will receive a system-generated email notifying you that your exam score is available. You may also check your score online by logging into your CCMS profile and selecting “Access Pearson VUE,” then selecting “View Score Reports.”