Larry Sawyer Research Foundation Project of the Year Award
The annual Larry Sawyer Research Foundation Project of the Year Award is bestowed upon a research or educational product that demonstrates the impact and relevance to internal audit practice that most closely aligns with Larry Sawyer’s vision of moving the profession forward by addressing an emerging issue.
The award-winning project will receive a seal designating it as the Larry Sawyer Research Foundation Project of the Year. The author(s) of the project will be invited to attend The IIA’s International Conference with an all-expense-paid trip where they will be presented with a plaque for the award.
In the first quarter of each year, a committee made up of members of the Research Foundation Board of Trustees and the Committee of Research and Education Advisors reviews all research and educational projects completed during the previous year. Each project from the previous year is rated on a scale of 1-5, answering three key weighted questions:
- Does this product closely align to Sawyer’s vision of moving the profession forward by addressing emerging issues and providing insight to the profession? (50%)
- Topics to consider: below are five topics that embody Sawyer’s approach to internal auditing, and award considerations should include a review for authors who embody these excellent philosophies and principles through their writings.
- The human side of internal auditing
- The leadership side of internal auditing
- The political side of internal auditing
- The creative side of internal auditing
- Emphasize that auditors are the “eyes and ears” to management
- Does the product push the boundaries of current thinking? (30%)
- Is the product appealing to a global audience? (20%)
The winner is selected in March, but not publicly announced until the International Conference.
This honor may not be awarded in any given year if there are no products that meet said criteria, and a runner-up may be designated with committee recommendation.
2013 Award Recipients
CAE Strategic Relationships: Building Rapport with the Executive Suite
Mohammad J. Abdolmohammadi, DBA, CPA; Sridhar Ramamoorti, PhD, CIA, CFSA, CGAP, CRMA; Gerrit Sarens, CIA
2012 Award Recipients
Combined Assurance: Case Studies on a Holistic Approach to Organizational Governance
Gerrit Sarens, CIA; LoÏc Decaux; Rainer Lenz, CIIA, CMIIA