NEW! Global Knowledge Brief, “Solving Key Challenges for the Smaller Audit Group — Plan, review processes, and utilize resources”
LAKE MARY, Fla. USA (2 Oct. 2019) — The Institute of Internal Auditors released a new Global Knowledge Brief, “Solving Key Challenges for the Smaller Audit Group — Plan, review processes, and utilize resources.” The report outlines how small audit departments can be empowered to leverage their resources, be flexible, evaluate their processes, and find support from colleagues. It includes unique challenges and solutions focused on the areas of operations, communications, and talent.
Some small ways to effect big change:
- Think about why things are done.
- Find peers to share information with and bounce ideas off of.
- Check unusual places for information, such as YouTube and Google.
- Leverage thought leadership that is free to IIA members.
- Constantly learn, constantly challenge.
- Use systems and software to the fullest and make them work for you.
- If you can’t find it, create it.
This Global Knowledge Brief was written by Alice Mariano, CIA, CPCU, CPA, director of internal audit for North Carolina Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Co. Inc., and is based on her presentations at the 2019 General Audit Management (GAM) Conference in Dallas and The IIA’s International Conference in Anaheim. Conference attendees were able to list challenges they face as internal auditors in small departments, and also were able to post solutions to others’ dilemmas. The challenges and responses covered three main areas: operations, communications, and talent. The report is available to IIA members.